Dry ice is a high-strength form of carbon dioxide which, in natural conditions, excludes the moment of transition to a liquid state and is immediately converted into a gaseous state. This substance is not poisonous, has excellent cooling properties and is therefore used as a coolant for better preservation of food products, in laboratory testing and industry.
Dry ice has no odor or color. However, this can present a real danger to the person, because of the possibility of a danger of improper handling.
Therefore, working with this substance requires compliance with certain safety measures. If it looks scary to you at first, this is because it can be, so make sure you follow certain rules when it comes to dry ice.
In today’s text we are going to talk about dry ice a bit more and share the secret whether this cool looking ice can be eaten or not.
What happens if we eat dry ice?
Although dry ice is not poisonous for humans, holding it close to skin can cause some damage. Dry ice should always be in its package and you can safely put it in your drink, but avoid holding it close to your skin. The reason why dry ice in your mouth is dangerous is because it is going to start releasing carbon and you can be in danger of asphyxiation which is definitely something you need to be careful about.
Dry ice releases a big amount of smoke from it, so you need to hold it in secured containers and not in a freezer or refrigerators. This way you are going to be protected from the fumes it is releasing. In case you managed to eat a smaller amount of dry ice without causing any harm to your skin, then nothing bad is going to happen to you but it is recommended to avoid doing this regularly. If you want to be safe then it is better not to test your faith and rather enjoy a cool drink with few cubes of regular ice.
Rules for storing dry ice
Due to the adherence to certain rules for storage and transportation of dry ice, not only can it be maintained intact and safe, but also avoid getting freeze marks. Dry ice can not be stored in plastic or glass containers that doesn’t allow the air to come in. This is endangering due to the fact that the container can finally explode from high pressure inside.
Dry ice can not be placed on a laminated or ceramic surface, which allows direct contact with defective products. When touching dry ice, special gloves must be worn on the hands, protecting the skin from the possible damage.
It is recommended to store such ice in a special case. Perfectly fitted with a long-lasting ice-maker. You can buy a cooler bag specially designed for dry ice. Glass of ice needs to be keep closed, because entering of warm air increases the evaporation process; It is necessary that the dry ice is in a cold room or on concrete to slow down the sublimation process.
Respecting special technologies and rules for dry ice storage will enable it to be kept as long as possible with useful properties without causing damage to you.
Precautionary measures for handling dry ice
Take care of yourself in a well-ventilated room. Dry ice is carbon dioxide and can be dangerous for people in the indoors. If the room is not in the right amount of fresh air, a person may notice a worsening of well-being. For example, headaches and dizziness. When transporting and transporting dry ice in a car, it is recommended to ventilate the car by holding open windows.
Also for storage of dry ice it is not recommended to use a sealed box due to its sublimation, i.e. release of carbon dioxide. By the way, the release of carbon dioxide can cause an explosion, and this aspect should be closely monitored when storing or transporting dry ice.
Policy and Product Storage Features
Before buying dry ice, you need to consider the rules of storing it in your home. If that is not done, in the beginning a big problem might ocurr in just a few hours, and the process itself will also cause unpleasant consequences. There are several possible approaches:
- If using dry ice is not a one-time action, and you are planning to use it for a longer period of time, it is better to buy special containers for storing this product. They can be found on the internet or purchased at specialized stores. To avoid making a mistake, you should first understand the features of such designs. The outdoor products are made of stainless steel or plastic, but they are coated with a foam or an anode, which prevents the ambient heat from influencing the ice.
- The good option is the use of a portable radiator. But it should be a real design, not a bag or a product bag. Such a product can be made independently from home, from improvised materials. Just take a cardboard box, spread it with a foam, paste all seams with a sticky tape. Then put the lid on the same principle and put together the structure. The main condition for such a “refrigerator” is the tight adherence of foam parts to each other.
- Even the use of these devices does not guarantee the desired result if left in the heat. The ice tray should be placed in a cool place away from sunlight and the source of artificial heat. Just do not forget that the room needs to be well ventilated, otherwise you can not avoid the accumulation of carbon dioxide, which can negatively affect family members and guests.
- You can’t store this product in your freezer or in refrigerator. First, low temperature can melt the dry ice. Second, the hermetically sealed chamber can be filled with carbon dioxide and explode.
- Generally, if you want to experiment with dry ice, it should be purchased the same day when needed and the residues should be removed in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. This will allow you to get aesthetic pleasure from the process and not risk your home getting damaged or your health.
In conclusion, dry ice is certainly not a toy and we need to handle it with care. This can be a very dangerous product if we don’t use it the right way and if we underestimate its danger.
Therefore you need to make sure you are secure when handling dry ice and that you have all the necessary storage units that you need.
Like we mentioned already, storing dry ice in your freezer or refrigerator is not safe and you can’t do that. It is better to store it in a box that is specially made for storing dry ice and avoid having it in a closed room without any windows.
Dry ice is not recommended for eating because it can cause freeze burns on your skin. Small pieces are not going to do anything to you, but overall it is better not to play around with it. Put it in your drink and enjoy a nice refreshing beverage. If you don’t feel safe using dry ice, then regular ice cubes are going to do the same trick.